The following is an excerpt from East Brunswick, New Jersey From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Around the late 17th century, settlers began arriving in the northern part of East Brunswick, and by the mid-19th century, a small village had formed in the southeastern part, known as the Old Bridge section of the town. This area is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The area today known as East Brunswick was composed of parts of North Brunswick and Monroe townships. The township was incorporated in 1860 and grew steadily as a rural farming community.
After decades as a quiet farming area, East Brunswick began to change in the 1930s. Large scale housing and road construction, especially after World War II, transformed the sleepy community into a large suburban town. The extension of the New Jersey Turnpike to East Brunswick in 1951 led to a sharp spike in population growth.
A more detailed history is available from the township website.